Why Study Biology?
- develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Biology and how they relate to each other
- develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
- develop their interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society (as exemplified in ‘How Science Works’ (HSW).
What will I study?
Biology A - provides a flexible approach to learning.
The specification is divided into topics, each covering different key concepts of biology. Mathematical and practical skills are embedded throughout the specification and in the assessments.
Teaching of practical skills is integrated with the theoretical topics and they are assessed through the written papers. For A level only, the Practical Endorsement will also support the development of practical skills.
How will I study?
The lessons will be a mixture of teacher-led activities, practical experimental work and student presentations. At times you will be expected to work in a group and at other times individually.
What do I need to start the course?
The AS specification has been written to provide progression from GCSE Science and GCSE Additional Science. Minimum grade B required from both Science GCSE and Additional Science to start the AS course. A minimum grade C in mathematics GCSE is also needed. Successful performance at AS Biology (at least grade E) is required to progress to Year 13.
Where could it lead?
Biology is an ideal subject to study at degree level. In addition, a Biology A level can prepare you for other biology related courses including genetics, environmental biology courses, ecology, physiology, physiotherapy, sports science. These in turn can lead to a wide range of career options.