Raine's is an inner city, voluntary aided, Church of England, 11-19 secondary school. The school is the latest representation of a school originally founded in 1719 by Henry Raine for the education of fifty boys and fifty girls. Throughout its long history the school has taken pride in its service to the local community, as we aim to "Achieve Excellence by Unlocking Potential".
Raine's Basketball Academy aims to follow in the principles set out by Henry Raine by sourcing local basketball potential and allowing players to thrive as elite student athletes
Head Coach Laurent Irish
- I was born and raised in the London Borough of Newham, Forest Gate, East London. Laurent who was coached by his late uncle Joe White, won every major English basketball trophy in competitions he entered over a 6 year- run At age 17 Laurent took up an American Basketball Scholarship at Faith Christian Academy High School in New Jersey USA. After graduating, he received two additional Basketball Scholarships from Polk Community College in Florida and Embly Riddle University in Daytona Beach, USA.
- Whilst progressing in Basketball, he studied business management and returned to London after four years to start his professional Basketball career with D1 Club Hackney Interbasket, now known as Hackney Whiteheat, where he was re united with his inspirational uncle, the late Joe White, for a successful season
- Laurent then signed a two year deal with the BBL Club Milton Keynes Lions, then moved on to the with the London Leopards for another two year deal. After a season with BBL club London United, Laurent took his talents over to Europe playing 4 successful seasons in Italy with Maccabi Ripalimosani, Benevento and Roma Pamphili where he Averaged 19 points 10 Rebounds and 5 assist per game.
- A 12 year British Professional Basketball Player who played Basketball for over 20 Seasons from 1994 to 2015. His Won Over 40 Trophies as player and a coach. A well known and respected figure in the London Basketball circuit. After retiring from playing in 2015, Laurent is going on his 3 straight season as a Coach for Londons only professional basketball club ( The London Lions ) and Head Basketball Coach at Raines Foundation School.
- Laurent Irish ( Known as Coach L ) 38 year old Basketball Coach and founding director of Future Generation Basketball (FG Basketball) Coach L is currently a 2 Year Professional Basketball Coach. Assisting B.B.L legend, Head Coach Nigel Lloyd, and Leading the London Lions to Two straight playoff appearances. Coach L is also the Head Basketball Coach at Raines Foundation School based in East London.
- In his 3 Years at Raines Foundation as Head Basketball Coach, Coach L has placed Raines Basketball back on the basketball school circuit. Now recognised as one of the fastest growing basketball programmes in the country. In just 3 Years the Basketball Programme has collected a total of 13 pieces of Silverware in school completions.
- The Sixth Form Athlete Training Program at RFB Academy is designed to help young players develop into student athletes, Our team of expert coaches, performance specialists and athletic trainers, many of whom played or coached at the professional and college level, design and develop fully customizable plans to meet every PLAYERS individual goals.
- Team training at RFB Academy offers teams the perfect opportunity to improve their performance and work together in a unique, ideal setting. Our proven training methods, experienced staff and great facilities make us a great training ground to get your Basketball skills and I.Q to the next level.
- During these very successful professional seasons, Laurent
- engaged in numerous community based projects, delivering pro basketball programs to schools and youth clubs across the Country. In 2006 he founded Future Generation Basketball, a non-profit organisation philosophy of which is to enable professional basketball players to work in communities teaching children and young people the value of education, health and sport. FG Basketball provides a fun-based basketball coaching programme which encourages young people to become properly educated not just about the game; but in other life skills and academic competence. FG basketball also provides a mentoring service, led by basketball role models who can relate, engage and inspire.
Coach Perry Lawson
- Attended South Georgia Tech University in the US
- Represented GB in the Eurobasket division B Qualifiers 2006
- Former England Senior men's international player – 12 caps
- Represented England from the age of 14 and was apart of the Olympic team at 18
- Has won 10 professional championships throughout his professional career in the UK and Europe
- Set up numerous National league teams, notably Enfield scorpions and Hackney Jedi’s.
- Built a successful academy at Haringey 6th form
- Led Haringey 6th form to the national finals and promotion to the ABL
- I was heavily influenced by local hero Joe White from the age of 11, this led me to playing for his Hackney academy which went unbeaten for three years. Raine’s Foundation School has an extensive history of Basketball success and I want to grow and be apart of that legacy